Sunday, May 13, 2012

Perhaps a new perspective?

  Four months after coming home, I realized how much I really need to post something here. Not quite sure where to begin. So much has happened since my last entry, that it's best I give a short summary of everything from where I left off.
  My flight to Geneve, Switzerland was a long one. Filled with long meditations, held back tears finally running, and thoughts of possible regret. The first few days were very comforting. The week after I actually went to France and met my Aunt and Uncle, I visited my new school which would be where I would be going for the next few months. On the first day I already made many new curious friends. All extremely patient. All very kind. All of whom showed me a different way to view that of which I had never given much thought to.
 Other than learning French, I also learned Spanish, took a drama class, learned how to stay on a pre-established 5 month budget, smoked, drank, and learned how to control my emotions to a point where no one could know anything about me unless I wanted them to. My Aunt and Uncle included. All in all, an experience that changed me due to the exposure to a whole new way of life.
  I can't say I was sad to be leaving, but I can't say I was happy either. It was something of mixed feelings. Something that made me grow in ways I never imagined could change me. 
  Going back to school, seeing all my old classmates, was the real blow. Seeing how they were all the same, how I was the only one truly different and how I had no interest in anything they did, made me extremely distasteful for them. Them, and anything regarding the whole system for that matter. Luckily I met a girl who had, six months earlier, come back from an exchange program very similar to mine who explained to me how very normal my feelings were. Post-exchange depression, she called it. A name all in it's own. Something that comforted me very much so, and was what helped me get to where I am today.
  So that's pretty much it. My life all summed up in a few simple paragraphs. Something I felt was owed to this space. Now the question I pose to anyone reading this; What would you have done, or how would you have felt in my situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment